Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1887, No. 2.

[No. 217, Sess. II.—Petition of John Runciman.]

No. 217, Sess. II.—Petition of John Runciman.

Petitioner states that he purchased 2,631 acres of land, being part of the Tamahere Block, from the Natives for £700. and which he occupied for some time. That in 1884 the Native Minister directed the land to be sold, by which the petitioner lost the £700 he had paid. He prays for inquiry.

I am directed to report as follows: That, from the evidence laid before the Committee, it appears that Mr. J. Runciman paid his money to Natives who had no claim upon the Tauwhare Block. That he had been warned of this, and the Committee has no recommendation to make.

5th December, 1887.

[Translation.]
No. 217, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hone Renimana.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana i hokona e ia i nga Maori nga eka whenua e 2,631 ara ko tetahi wahi o Tamahere Poraka mo nga moni e £700, a he roa te wa i noho ai ia i runga i taua whenua, na mo te tau 1884 ka tonoa e Minita Maori kia hokona taua whenua, a na taua hokonga i ngaro ai nga moni e £700 i utua e ia mo taua whenua, e inoi ana kia whiriwhiria tenei mate ona.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: I runga i nga korero i korerotia ki te aroaro o te Komiti, e maharatia ana i utua e Hone Renimana ana moni ki nga Maori kihai i whai take ki Tauwhare Poraka, a i whakaaturia ano hoki ki aia kahore he take a aua tangata ki taua whenua, no reira kahore he kupu a te Komiti mo runga i tenei tono.

5 o Tihema, 1887.