Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1885.

[No. 119.—Petition of Apera Te Paea and Others.]

No. 119.—Petition of Apera Te Paea and Others.

Petitioners state that Government has issued a Proclamation over certain land of theirs called Matawhitia which they allege to be illegal, as neither they nor their co-owners have ever received any money on account, nor entered into any agreement with the Government respecting the said land. They pray for relief.

I am directed to report as follows: That if there be no advances on the land, as alleged, there seems to be no valid reason for continuing the Proclamation. The Committee recommends the matter to the consideration of the Government, with a view to immediate action.

18th August, 1885.

[Translation.]
No. 119.—Pukapuka-inoi a Apera te Paea me etahi atu.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana kua whakaputaina e te Kawanatanga tetahi panui i runga i etahi whenua a ratou e karangatia nei ko Matawhitia e ki ana ratou kihai i tika ki ta te Ture no te mea kahore ano etahi moni i riro ia ratou mo runga i taua whenua, kihai ano hoki i hanga kirimene ki waenganui ia ratou me te Kawanatanga mo runga i taua whenua e inoi ana ratou ki tetahi ora mo ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Mehemea kahore tetahi moni i utua ki runga i taua whenua kahore he take e mau tonu ai te panui. E tono ana te Komiti kia whakaarohia tenei mea e te Kawanatanga kia hohoro hoki te mahi.

18 o Akuhata, 1885.