Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1885.

[No. 42, Sess. II., 1884.—Petition of Ngahaupoaraki.]

No. 42, Sess. II., 1884.—Petition of Ngahaupoaraki.

Petitioner states that she is a member of the Ngatiruanui Tribe, and has been living on a reserve made by the West Coast Royal Commission, but a Native who assumes the power of a chief has turned her off her land and destroyed her house. She has now no land to live on. She prays the House to grant her such relief as they may deem fit.

I am directed to report as follows: That this is a case that can only be settled by a Court of law, in the usual manner. The attention of the Government should be called to the desirability of having the land individualized.

3rd July, 1885.

[Translation.]
No. 42, Sess. II., 1884.—Pukapuka-inoi a Ngahaupoaraki.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana no te Iwi o Ngatiruanui ia, i runga ia i tetahi rahui e noho ana, he rahui i whakataua e nga Komihana o te Tai Hauauru Erangi ko tetahi tangata Maori i mea he rangatira ia, i pana iaia i runga i tona whenua, wawahia ana ona whare, Inaianei kahore ona whennua hei kainga nohoanga mona, e inoi ana ia ki te Paremete kia whakaputaina tetahi ora mona i runga i ta ratou i ki te ai he tika.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: He keehi tenei ma tetahi Ture Kooti e whakatau i runga ano i ona hauarahi ko te mea tika me tono i te Kawanatanga kia roherohea te whenua kia tau ai ki ia tangata tona hea.

3 o Hurae, 1885.