Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1884, No. 2.

[No. 438, Sess. II.—Petition of Paora Tuhaere.]

No. 438, Sess. II.—Petition of Paora Tuhaere.

Petitioner states that the island known as the Little Barrier was awarded to him and his relations by the Native Land Court. The island contains 6,960 acres, and a quantity of kauri. He has received a private offer of £3,000 for kauri timber alone. Government have offered £2,500 to buy land, timber, &c., right out, and, because he will not let it go, a Proclamation has been issued forbidding him to sell to any other bidder. He prays for redress, so that the Proclamation may be at once withdrawn.

Report and date same as No. 16.

[Translation.]
No. 438, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Paora Tuhaere.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana ko te motu e mohiotia nei ko Little Barrier i whakataua ki aia me ona huanga e te Kooti Whenua Maori, e 6,960 nga eka o taua motu e ahua nui ana hoki te kauri o runga kua tukua mai te ki a te tangata kia £3,000 mo nga kauri anake, kua ki mai hoki te Kawanatanga £2,500 mo taua motu hui atu ki nga kauri o runga, a no te mea kihai ia i whakaae ki te hoko kua puta he panui kia kaua ia e hoko ki tetahi tangata ke atu. E inoi ana ia kia tangohia taua panui.

Kei te Nama 16 te ripoata mo tenei me te ra i tuhia ai.