Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1884, No. 2.

[No. 206, Sess. II.–Petition of Uru te Angina.]

page 22

No. 206, Sess. II.–Petition of Uru te Angina.

Petitioner, as chief of his tribe, states that a block of land, 90,000 acres in extent, called Kaitangiwhenua, was bought for the Government by Mr. Gill and a Mr. William Williams. That W. Williams obtained a cheque for £5,400 under pretence of cashing it for the Maoris, and never paid them any of it, but appropriated the money himself: they only received £500 in all, as an advance, during the surveying of the land. They pray that inquiries may be made.

Report and date the same as No. 16.

[Translation.]
No. 206, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Uru TE Angina.

Ko Te kai-pitihana, he rangatira no tona iwi a o ki ana i hokona e te Kawanatanga to Poraka o Kaitangiwhenua, e 90,000 eka ko te Kira raua ko Wiremu Wiremu nga Apiha o taua hoko, riro ana i taua Wiremu Wiremu te tiaki mo te £5,400 i runga i tana kupu mana e tini mai ki nga Maori a kaore rawa i utua e ia ki nga Maori etahi o aua moni kaiponuhia tonutia e ia, e £500 anake i riro i nga Maori i runga i te tikanga taunaha i te mea e ruritia ana taua poraka. E inoi ana ia kia ata whiriwhiria tenei mahi.

Kei te Nama 16 te ripoata mo tenei mo te ra i tuhia ai.