Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1884, No. 2.

[No. 253, of 1883.—Petition of Retireti Tapihana.]

No. 253, of 1883.—Petition of Retireti Tapihana.

Petitioner states that certain blocks of land at Maketu were investigated by Judge Heale in 1878. A great disturbance arose among the tribes, both parties resorted to firearms. Mr. Sheehan came there and told them that they must allow the Court to go on, and that he would take care that page 8they received satisfaction. They said Sir Donald McLean had said that, but had not carried out his promise. They would now wait five years for Mr. Sheehan's words to be fulfilled. The five years have now elapsed, and Mr. Sheehan's words have not been carried out. They pray that they may be paid what was promised them, or a rehearing be granted.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, in regard to this petition, the evidence of Mr. Sheehan is to the effect that in 1878 this gentleman had heard of Native difficulties regarding the lands in question; that he hastened to the district and found the people in arms; that, acting upon what he says he had reason to believe was a promise of Sir Donald McLean, he promised compensation in money, should the petitioners keep the peace; and that, up to the time he left office, he had never made up his mind as to the amount of compensation to be paid.

So far as Sir Donald McLean's action is concerned, Mr. Sheehan seems to have been under a complete misapprehension; for, from a document placed before the Committee, written by Sir Donald McLean himself, and published in the Waka Maori, it is certain that the "toa" claims he referred to were altogether outside of the lands named in the petition, nor does the document make any mention of compensation to be paid by Government.

How far Mr. Sheehan was justified in making the promises he says he made, the Committee cannot say; nor can the Committee estimate their pecuniary value.

The Committee recommends that the question of the amount of compensation (if any be justly due) be referred to the Government for further consideration; and for early settlement upon some equitable principle.

1st October, 1884.

[Translation.]
No. 253, o te tau, 1883.—Pukapuka-inoi a Retireti Tapihana.

E Mea ana te kai-pitihana i whakawakia etahi poraka whenua i Maketu e Tiati Hira i te tau 1878 I puta tetahi pakanga nui i waenganui i nga iwi e rua i mau pu na ka haere mai a te Hiana ki reira ka mea me tuku te kooti kia mahi ana i ana mahi, i ki hoki ia mana e whakarite i te taha kia ratou —i mea ratou i perano nga kupu a te Makarini erangi kihai i whakaritea eia tana whakaaetanga ko tenei kua tatari ratou i roto i nga tau e rima kia whakaritea nga kupu a te Hiana. Kua pahure nga tau e rima inaianei kahore ano i whakaritea nga kupu a te Hiana e inoi ana ratou inaianei kia utua nga mea i whakaaetia ma ratou kia whakawakia tuaruatia ranei.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Na mo runga i tenei pitihana e penei ana nga korero a te Hiana no te tau 1878 i rongo ano tenei Rangatira ki nga raruraru mo runga i nga whenua e korerotia nei, i hohoro tana haere atu ki tera takiwa ka kite i te iwi e mau pu ana, na i runga i ta ratou whakahere i ana korero i mahara ratou he whakarite tana i nga korero a Ta Tanara Makarini i whakaae ia me whakarite ta ratou hea ki te moni ki te mea ka houhia e nga kai-pitihana te rongo, a taea noatia te wa i mahue ai iaia tana Tari kihai rawa i puta ana whakaaro me pewhea ranei te nui o nga utu e tika ana kia utua.

Na mo runga i te tikanga a Ta Tanara Makarini i ahua pohehe a te Hiana mei te ahua o te pukapuka i whakatakotoria ki te aroaro o te Komiti he mea tuhituhi na Ta Tanara Makarini ki ona ringa ake ano, a i panuitia hoki ki roto i te Waka Maori. He mea pono ano hoki ko nga kereme i whakahuatia eia kei waho ke o nga whenua i whakaingoatia nei i roto i te pitihana, kahore hoki te pukapuka e whakahua i nga utu kia utua e te Kawanatanga.

Ko te tikanga i whai tikangaai a te Hiana ki te whakaae i nga korero e ki nei ia i korerotia e ia, kahore e taea e te Komiti te korero, kahore hoki e taea e te Komiti te whakaaro te nui o nga moni e tika ana kia utua.

Ko te tikanga i whakaaro ai te Komiti mo runga i nga utu (ara) mehemea e tika ana kia utua, koia tenei me tuku ki te Kawanatanga kia whakaarohia kia hohoro ai te whakarite i runga i nga tikanga e tika ana kia utua.

1 Oketopa, 1884.