Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 521.—Petition of Horiana Hone and 33 Others.]

page 30

No. 521.—Petition of Horiana Hone and 33 Others.

Petitioners say that the Paeroa East Block was awarded to them by the Land Court which sat at Whakatane in October, 1882; that a rehearing was granted and heard at Maketu in June, 1883, and that this resulted in the land being vested in persons who had arranged to convey it to a European. This they attribute to the fact that lawyers were employed on the other side, whilst they were unrepresented. They pray for redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this petition was presented towards the close of the session, and it is impossible to examine into it in the time at the disposal of the Committee.

3rd September, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 521.—Pukapuka-inoi a Horiana Hone me etahi atu e 33.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana ko Paeroa Poraka i te taha ki te Rawhiti i whakataua kia ratou e te Kooti Whenua Maori i noho i Whakatane ia Oketopa, 1882, a i whakaaetia kia whakawakia, tuaruatia a i whakawakia ia Hune, 1883, tona mutunga ka whakataua te whenua ki nga tangata i whaka ae ki te hoko ki te pakeha. E mea ana ratou ko te take i penei ai i mahi nga roia mo tera taha, na kahore he kaiwhakahaere i tu mo ratou. E inoi ana ratou mo tetahi tikanga e ora ai to ratou mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua tata te mutu te Paremete ka tahi ka puta ake tenei pitihana, heoi kihai i ahei te Komiti ki te whiriwhiri.

3 Hepetema, 1883.