Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 373.—Petition of Kawana Hunia and Others.]

No. 373.—Petition of Kawana Hunia and Others.

Petitioners, who belong to the Ngatiapa Tribe, state that they were interested in land which was brought into Court on the 24th June, 1880, at Bull's, the other claimants being the Ngatihauiti Tribe; that, on the 5th July, after the case of the latter tribe had been nearly completed, and before the petitioners had entered upon theirs, the Court decided that it would not any longer permit lawyers to appear; that, by this action, the petitioners were hindered from fairly stating their case; that they then withdrew, and the Court closed; that by this action of the Court they had lost £500 in expenses; that a rehearing was granted, to be held within three months, but that this did not occur for two years, thus causing further loss to the petitioners. They pray for compensation.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That exactly similar petitions were presented in 1880 (No. 232) and 1882 (No. 469), and the matter was fully gone into. The Committee has no recommendation to make.

3rd September, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 373.—Pukapuka-inoi a Kawana Hunia me etahi atu.

Ko nga kai-pitihana no Ngatiapa, e ki ana i whaitake ratou ki tetahi whenua i Kootitia i Puru Taone i te 24 Hume, 1880, ko Ngatihauiti o ratou hoariri. I te 5 o Hurae i te mea e tata ana te oti o te keehi a Ngatihauiti a kaore ano kia whakapuakina te taha ki nga Kai-pitihana, ka mea te Kooti me puta nga roia ki waho o te Kooti, no reira i he ai te korero a nga Kai-pitihana i to ratou keehi, unuhia mai ana ki waho, mutu ana te Kooti; na i runga i tenei mahi a te Kooti i pau te £500, a nga kai-pitihana. I whakaaetia te whakawa tuarua kia tu i roto i nga marama e toru, na e rua tau rawa tu ai taua whakawa tuarua no reira i pau nui ai nga moni a o koutou Kai-pitihana. E inoi ana ratou kia whakaorangia ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E rua nga pitihana penei i te tau 1880 (No. 232) me te tau 1882 (No. 469) i ata whiriwhiria an i reira. Kaore he kupu a te Komiti.

3 Hepetema, 1883.