Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 118.—Petition of Honana te Maioha.]

No. 118.—Petition of Honana te Maioha.

Petitioner says he leased the island Taipouri, Waikato, to John Moore (or Muir), and received from the latter $100 by way of loan. The petition is very obscure; but he seems to have lost his land, and blames Moore and one Cowell and his Maori wife for having defrauded him.

I am directed to report as follows:—

Mr. Wilkinson, Government Native Agent at Auckland, reports upon this case as follows: "Taipouri was granted to Honana under 'The New Zealand Settlements Act, 1863;' he then leased it in December, 1868, for fifteen years to Muir, at a yearly rental of £31 5s. Honana afterwards mortagaged that island, and another adjacent, no Muir on the 25th March, 1870, for £200, which amount was to have been repaid with interest on the 24th March, 1875. Honana failed to repay the money and interest, and the islands were sold by order of the Registrar of the Supreme Court at Auckland. The mortgagee being the highest bidder they were conveyed to him by the Registrar. Mr. C.O. Davis was the interpreter for both lease and mortageg." The Committee, having no further evidence, has no recommendation to make, as it seems to be an ordinary business transaction.

11th July, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 118.—Pukapuka-inoi a Honana te Maioho.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana i riihitia e ia te moutere a Taipouri, Waikato, kia Hone Mua, a i riro i a ia i taua tangata tetahi moni nama £100. Kaore e marama te pitihana, enegari kua riro te whenua a te kai-pitihana, a e mea ana ia na Mua me Kauere raua ko tona wahine Maori i tahae tona whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te kupu mai a Te Wikirihana kaiwhakahaere o nga mea Maori a te Kawanatanga i Akarana e mea ana: "I karaatitia a Taipouri ki a Honana i raro i 'Te Ture Whakanohonoho o Nui Tireni, 1863,' katahi ka riihitia e ia i Tihema, 1868, mo nga tau 15 ki a Mua, ko te reti i te tau e £31 5s. No muri i tenei ka moketetia e Honana taua Moutere me tetahi e tata ana ki reira ki a Mua i te 25 o Maehe, 1870, mo te £200. Na ko enei moni i whakaritea hei te 24 o Maehe, 1875, utua ai e Honana apiti hoki ki nga hua o aua moni, na kaore i utua e Honana taua moni me nga hua heoi hokona ana i runga i te ota a te Rehita o te Hupirimi Kooti Akarana; Ko te kaituku i te mokete nana te karanga nui mo taua whenua, a tukua atu ana e te Rehita mana. Ko Hare Reweti te kaiwhakamaori o te riihi me te motete." I te mea kaore he korero ke atu i te Komiti kaore o ana kupu notemea e marama ana he mea e mahia ana i nga tikanga o te mahi.

11 Hurae, 1883.