Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 108.—Petition of Mita te Rangi-tu-a-Koha and 6 Others.]

No. 108.—Petition of Mita te Rangi-tu-a-Koha and 6 Others.

Petitioners state that in 1873 the Land Court awarded a block of land called Pukehina, Bay of Plenty, to them; that in mistake they had applied for a rehearing, and were so successful that an page 2Order in Council to that effect was issued on the 8th April, 1880, but that the rehearing had never been held. They now learn that their opponents, the Ngatimakino, have presented a petition to parliament to have the case heard again. Petitioners pray that nothing be done towards this object, as they now hold the land and wish to remain owners.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That no rehearing can now take place except after special legislation. This case is similar to that of No. 74. The Committee recommends the matter to the consideration of the Government, as in the report upon that petition.

11th July, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 108.—Pukapuka-inoi a Mita te Rangi-tu-a-Koha me etahi atu e 6.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana no te tau 1878 ka whakataua ki a ratou e te kooti whenua tetahi poraka whenua ko Pukehina kei te Pei o Pereti; na i pohehe ta ratou tono kia whakawa tuaruatia, i runga i ta ratou tono puta aua he ota i roto i te kaunihera i te 8 o nga ra o Aperira 1880 kia whakawakia ano engari kaore ano i tu taua whakawa. Kua rongo ratou i naianei ko o ratou hoa whakatete ko Ngatimakino kua tuku pitihana ki te Paremete kia whakawakia ano taua whenua. Na e inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia kaua e peratia notemea kei a ratou te whenua i naianei e purpuri ana a e hiahia ana ratou ino ratou ano te whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E kore e ahei te whakawa tuarua i naianei ma te ture hou rano ka taea. E rite ana tenei ki te pitihana Nama 74. A e mea ana te Komiti he mea tenei hei whakaarohanga ma te Kawanatanga pera me tea mea e kiia ana e nga kupu i runga i taua pitihana.

11 Hurae, 1883.