Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 325 of 1882.—Petition of Mary Callaway Te Wheko Yeoland.]

No. 325 of 1882.—Petition of Mary Callaway Te Wheko Yeoland.

Petitioner states that she and her brothers and sisters are grandchildren of Te Wheko, who died at Opotiki in 1867, and that though the said Te Wheko had always been loyal, his lands were confiscated. Petitioner prays for a grant of land for herself and relatives.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the claims of Mrs. Yeoland's mother seem to have been settled in full some years ago. The petitioner has further claims amongst her mother's tribe, but these are now before the Commissioner for adjudication. The Crown has no equitable liability in this case.

30th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 325 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Mere Karowei Te Wheko Iorana.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana ko ratou ko ana tungane me ona teina he mokopuna katoa na Te Wheko i mate ki Opotiki i te tau 1867. Ko taua Te Wheko he tangata piri-pono ki a te Kuini, na rau-patutia noatia ana ona whenua. E inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia karaatitia he whenua ki a ia mo ratou ko ona whanaunga.

page 32

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I tino whakaritea nga kereeme a to whaea o to kai-pitihana i era tau noa atu ra. Kei te whai take ano to kai-pitihana ki etahi whenua o te taha ki te iwi o tona whaea, engari ko ana whenua kei te whakawakia e te Komihana i naianei. Kaore he take kia riro ma te Karauna e whakarite.

30 Akuhata, 1882.