Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No 127 of 1882 —Petition of Murupara and 45 others.]

page 30

No 127 of 1882 —Petition of Murupara and 45 others.

Petitioners state that they were forced to sell Tauwhare by threats of the Government agent.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the assertion that threats were used is devoid foundation. In 1870 a list of claimants was made, but in consequence of murders in relation to the land, settlement of the claims was rendered impossible. In May, 1882, notice was given by Mr. Bush, Resident Magistrate, to claimants to apply for scrip. Out of 107 recognised as entitled, only ten applied up to the 6th June last. It seems that it is still open to those entitled to land to apply for it.

14th July, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 127 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Marupara me etahi atu 45.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana i hoko ratou i Tauwhare i runga i te whakawehiwehi a te Apiha a te Kawanatanga.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kaore he tikanga o te kupu e ki nei i whakawehiwehia. I te tau 1870 i tuhia he rarangi ingoa o nga tangata i whai kereme ki taua whenua, engari na nga kohuru mo runga i taua, whenua i kore ai e taea te whakaoti. I tukua e Te Puihi Kai-whakawa i Mei 1882 te panui ki nga tangata whai kereme kia tukua a ratou tono kiripi—Na i roto i te 107 tangata whaitake ki taua whenua, kotahi tekau anake o ratou i tono kiripi tae noa ki te 6 o Hune kua pahure nei. Kei te ahei noatu nga tangata whai take ki te tono mo aua whenua.

14 Hurae, 1882.