Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 31 of 1882.—Petition of Hori Ohomairangi and 328 Others.]

No. 31 of 1882.—Petition of Hori Ohomairangi and 328 Others.

Petitioners state that their lands (probably Pukekura and Puahoi, though no place is named) have been vested in ten individuals, and that they did not understand the nature of the transaction. They pray that some means may be devised by which they may be reinstated in those lands.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this land was Crown-granted with restriction against sale, but with leave to lease for twenty-one years from the 17th December, 1869; that it has been leased; that the European occupants have from time to time applied to Government to take off the restrictions against sale, alleging that they have purchased the greater portion of the interest of the grantees; and that thus far Government has refused to take off the restrictions. The Committee recommends that the restrictions should not be removed, and further recommends that Government should seriously consider the possibility of bringing forward a measure to deal with cases in which a limited number of grautees are now able to sell lands in which the tribes to which they belong have an equitable interest.

20th June, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 31 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hori Ohomairangi me etahi e 328.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana ko o ratou whenua (kaore i homai nga ingoa erangi pea ko Pukekura raua ko Puahoi) i whakataua ki nga tangata kotahi te kau, na kaore ratou i matau ki te tikanga o taua mahi, heoi he inoi tenei na ratou me kore e kitea he huarahi e taea ai ano ratou te whakauru ki roto ki to ratou whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko tenei whenua i Karauna karaatitia i runga i te here kia kore ai e taea te hoko, erangi i mana te riihi mo nga tau e 21 timata mai i te 17 o Tihema 1869; kua riihitia taua whenua; ko te mahi a nga pakeha kei a ia taua whenua he tonotono ki te Kawanatanga kia tangohia te here arai i te hoko, e mea ana hoki nga pakeha kua oti te hoko te nuinga o nga paanga o nga tangata o roto i te Karauna karaati; na tae mai ki naianei kei te whakakore tonu te Kawanatanga ki te tango i taua here. E mea ana tenei Komiti me kaua e tangohia te here, me tenei kupu ano hoki a te Komiti ki te Kawanatanga kia tino whiriwhiri ratou me kore e taea te tuku mai tetahi Pire hei whai tikanga mo nga whenua e uru nei te tokoiti ki roto ki te karaati, a e ahei nei aua tokoiti ki te hoko i te whenua e whai take ana to ratou iwi katoa ki runga.

20 Hune, 1882.