Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 92 of 1882.—Petition of Tapata Harepeka, a Ruka, a Ramari, and Another.]

No. 92 of 1882.—Petition of Tapata Harepeka, a Ruka, a Ramari, and Another.

Petitioners state that the Bishop had got the children of the district to attend school at Motueka, and afterwards got the land called Wakarewa for the children to cultivate, but it had been agreed that the land should be returned when the school was closed. The school is closed, and the petitioners do not wish it re-opened, but want the land to be returned to them.

I am directed by the Committee to report as follows:—

That, as the Bishop of Nelson, who represents the trustees in this case, is at present in England, they do not consider it advisable to report on the petition until after his return; therefore that the petition stand over until next session.

18th July, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 92 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Tapata Harepeka, a Ruka, a Ramari, me tetahi atu.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana na te Pihopa i tono kia haere atu nga tamariki ki te kura i Motueka, no muri ka riro atu te whenua i Wakarewa hei ngakinga ma aua tamariki, engari i whakaritea kia whakahokia atu ano te whenua me ka mutu te kura. Kua kore te kura i naianei a kaore hoki nga kai-pitihana e pai kia whakaturia ano te kura, engari e hiahia ana kia whakahokia atu te whenua ki a ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau e te Komiti kia ki penei:—

Ko te Pihopa te kai-tiaki o taua whenua, a kei Ingarangi ia i naianei, e mahara ana te Komiti kaua ratou e whakatau i tenei pitihana kia hoki mai ra ano ia; engari me waiho tenei pitihana mo tera Paremete.

18 Hurae, 1882.