Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 183 of 1882.—Petition of Hariata Ngahiwi.]

No. 183 of 1882.—Petition of Hariata Ngahiwi.

Petitioner prays for a grant of land at Hamilton, but gives no reason for the request.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That when the petitioner was young she was living with Europeans, and seems not to have applied for land to which she might have been entitled. She is said to be a woman of good character, and keeps her children at school. Her husband is blind, but receives a small Government pension of £15 per annum. It is said she may have a claim on land in Taranaki. The Committee recommends her case to the favourable consideration of the Government.

14th July, 1882.
page 29

[Translation.]
No. 183 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hariata Ngahiwi.

E Inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia hoatu he karaati whenua mona i Hamitana, engari kaore i whakaatu mai i te putake o tana tono.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I te tamarikitanga o te kai-pitihana i noho ia i roto i te Pakeha, kaore i tono mo nga whenua i whaitake ai ano pea ia. E kiia ana he wahine noho pai ia e tuku ana i ana tamariki ki te kura. Ko tana, tane he matipo engari e utua ana e te Kawanatanga ki te £15 i te tau. E kiia ana tera pea e whaitake ana ia ki etahi whenua i Taranaki. E mea ana te Komiti me ata whakaaro e te Kawanatanga tana tono.

14 Hurae, 1882.