Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 117 of 1882.—Petition of Henare Kaipuke and 5 Others.]

No. 117 of 1882.—Petition of Henare Kaipuke and 5 Others.

Petitioners ask, on behalf of the Ngatihanui Hapu, that their lands at Hukanui, Waikato, near Hamilton, should be individualized.

I am directed to report as follows:—

Mr. Marshall reports that in 1870 Mr. Clarke and he attended at Cambridge to receive claims, but the petitioners declined to attend, and were consequently not included in the list of persons who were to receive lands. Major Te Wheoro's evidence is to the following effect: These people settled on the lands (which had been originally theirs) in 1868; they got no other land from Government. In 1873, Major Te Wheoro says, that Dr. Pollen, in the presence of Mr. J. Mackay and himself, promised that they should have the land. The petitioners have ever since 1868 resided upon Hukanui; now, they are disputing amongst themselves about the right of cutting timber, and further troubles may arise.

The Committee recommends Government to make fuller inquiries into the whole case, and deal with it as may seem just.

17th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 117 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Henare Kaipuke me etahi atu e 5.

E Tono ana nga kai-pitihana mo te taha ki te hapu o Ngatihanui kia roherohea o ratou whenua i Hukanui, Waikato, e tata ana ki Hamutana, ki ia tangata ki ia tangata.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E Ki ana te ripoata a Maiho (Mr. Marshall) no te tau 1870 ka haere raua ko Te Karaka ki Kemureti mo nga tono kia tae atu ki a raua, engari kaore nga kai-pitihana i haere ake ki reira, a koina hoki i kore ai e uru o ratou ingoa ki roto ki te rarangi o nga tangata e hoatu ai he whenua.

Ko nga korero a Meiha Te Wheoro e mea ana. Ko era tangata i noho ki runga ki era whenua (no ratou hoki i mua) i te tau 1868. Kaore he whenua ke atu i hoatu e te Kawanatanga ki a ratou. I te tau 1873 e ki ana a Meiha Te Wheoro, ka whakaaetia e Te Rata Porana taua whenua mo ratou, i reira ano tera a Te Wheoro me Te Make i taua whakaaetanga. No reira mai ra ano te nohanga o nga kai-pitihana ki runga ki taua whenua ki Hukanui. Kei te tautohetohe ratou i naianei ki ratou ano mo te mana tapahi i nga rakau, a tera pea e tipu ake ano he raruraru.

E whakahau ana te Komtti kia tino rapua e te Kawanatanga taua mea katoa, a ka whakahaere i i runga i te huarahi tika e kitea ana e ratou.

17 Akuhata, 1882.