Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 355 of 1882.—Petition of Robert Graham (No. 5).]

No. 355 of 1882.—Petition of Robert Graham (No. 5).

Petitioner states that in 1881 he learned that the Government had a Proclamation over Oruanui, near Taupo; that he had, however, learned from newspapers and from Government agents, that the Government intended to retire from most incompleted transactions as soon as the money advanced could be recovered or an equivalent could be got in land; that the Government did get this equivalent; that petitioner then entered into negotiations to purchase the interest of two of the grantees, which succeeded; that the Proclamation has not been taken off the land; that, on the contrary, it is said that Government is now negotiating for the purchase of it, and has actually offered a larger price than the petitioner had agreed to give; and that, consequently, petitioner is suffering great loss.

I am directed to report as follows: —

That the block of land referred to in the petition was proclaimed in 1878 as being under purchase by the Government; and, this being within the knowledge of the petitioner, he has proceeded in his attempt to purchase in breach of the law, and has no claim on the consideration of the House.

16th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 355 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rapata Kereama (Nama 5).

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana no te tau 1881 ka rongo ia kua panuitia e te Kawanatanga a Oruanui, e tata ana ki Taupo, engari i kite ia i nga nupepa i rongo hoki ia ki nga apiha a te Kawanatanga, ka whakarerea e te Kawanatanga etahi o nga whenua kaore nei i tino oti te hoko, i te hokinga mai ki a ratou nga moni i utua, ki to ratou whiwhinga ranei ki etahi whenua hei whakarite i aua moni, no reira i tahuri ai te kai-pitihaha ki te hoko i nga hea a etahi tangata tokorua whaitake ki taua whenua, riro ana i a ia; kaore ano kia unuhia te panui a te Kawanatanga mo runga i taua whenua, engari e kiia ana i naianei e hiahia ana te Kawanatanga ki te tino hoko rawa i taua whenua, a kua whakaae atu hoki i te utu, nui atu i te utu i whakaritea ai e te kai-pitihana; no reira ka mate te kai-pitihana:—

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te whenua e korerotia nei e te kai-pitihana i panuitia e te Kawanatanga i te tau 1878, na i mohio ano hoki te kai-pitihana ki taua panuitanga tahuri tonu ia ki te hoko me tana takahi i te Ture, kaore ana take kia arohatia e te Whare.

16 Akuhata, 1882.