Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 353 of 1883.—Petition of Robert Graham (No. 3).]

page 25

No. 353 of 1883.—Petition of Robert Graham (No. 3).

Petitioner states that in 1881 he arranged with the owners to purchase Okohiriki, on the west of Rotorua, and paid money on account and also in fees to agents; but that in October of the same year a Proclamation was placed over the land under the Thermal-Springs Act, and was consequently prevented from completing the purchase; and further, that Government now claims, but unjustly, that it has paid money on the block and proposes to buy it.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the name of the piece of land in question appears to be unknown in the district, but it appears to be included in a block of land which has been under negotiation by the Government since 1879. The allegation of the petition that the purchase of the land by Mr. Graham is prevented by the Proclamation, under the Thermal-Springs Act is entirely misleading, inasmuch as the title has not yet been investigated by the Native Land Court, and the land is moreover proclaimed as under negotiation by the Government, a circumstance perfectly well known in the neighbourhood. The Committee does not consider Mr. Graham has any grievance in the matter.

15th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 353 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rapata Kereama (Nama 3).

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana no te tau 1881 ka whakaritea e ia ki nga tangata whaitake ki Okohiriki kei te taha Hauauru o Rotorua kia hokona e ia taua wahi, utua ana e ia etahi moni ki a ratou me ana kai-whakahaere hoki, no Oketopa o taua tau ka panuitia taua whenua i raro i te Ture Ngawha, no reira i kore ai e taea te whakaoti i tana hoko, e he ana hoki te ki a te Kawanatanga kua utu taunaha ratou mo runga i taua whenua mo runga i te hoko.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko taua ingoa whenua kaore i te mohiotia i roto i taua takiwa, engari kei roto ke i te whenua i timataria te hoko e te Kawanatanga i te tau 1879. Ko te ki a te pitihana e mea nei kei te araia te hoko a te Kereama e te Ture Ngawha kaore i te tika, notemea kaore ano kia whakawakia taua whenua e te Kooti Whakawa Whenua Maori, tetahi hoki kua pannitia taua whenua kei te hokona e te Kawanatanga, kei te tino mohiotia hoki tera i taua takiwa. Ki te whakaaro o te Komiti kaore he take kia tangi mai a Te Kereama i runga i tenei mea.

15 Akuhaia, 1882.