Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 230 of 1882.—Petition of Te Pokiha Taranui and 3 Others.]

No. 230 of 1882.—Petition of Te Pokiha Taranui and 3 Others.

Petitioners pray that consideration may be shown to Mr. Robert Graham, because he averted disturbance at Maketu in 1878, and that facilities should be given him to lease land at Koutu and Kawaha.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee cannot recommend any departure from the natural action of the Thermal-Springs Act, in favour of Mr. Graham. There is a great jealousy on the part of the Natives in regard to Europeans getting a surreptitious footing in the country, and these persons sent Mr. Tipitipi, himself holding a large interest in the land, to give evidence against the prayer of this petition. The Government has had a lease of the land referred to since 1874.

2nd August, 1882.

[Translation]
No. 230 of 1882.—Pukapuka inoi a Te Pokiha Taranui, me etahi atu 3.

E Inoi ana nga Kai-pitihana kia ata whakaarohia ano a Ropata Kereama, natemea nana i arai te raruraru i Maketu i te tau 1878, me whakaae hoki tana riihi i Koutu me Kawaha.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E kore te Komiti e kaha ki te ki me whakarereke nga tikanga o te Ture Ngawha mo te taha kia Kereama. He nui rawa te puhaehae o nga Maori ki nga Pakeha e haere huna ana ki te kimi whenua i reira, tukua mai ana e ratou a Te Tipitipi he tangata whaitake ano ki reira hei whaaki korero whakahe mo te inoi o tenei Pitihana. I te Kawanatanga ano e riihi ana taua whenua timata mai ra ano i te tau, 1874.

2 Akuhata, 1882.