Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 115 of 1882.—Petition of Paora Rerepu and 24 Others.]

No. 115 of 1882.—Petition of Paora Rerepu and 24 Others.

Petitioners complain of a road passing their village, causing the destruction of their whares and fences, and say that there is an equally good road-line to be found elsewhere.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That Government has had information that no whares have been interfered with, that no fencing of importance has been removed, and that the road has been spoiled in order to avoid Maori cultivations. The road is upon the old track. At the same time it is stated by the officer in charge that he has not yet visited the place. The Committee recommends that he should be instructed to see the ground as soon as possible, and take the road, if suitable, by a route indicated by the Natives, so as to avoid interfering in any way with their improvements.

29th June, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 115 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Paora Rerepu me etahi atu e 24.

E whakahe ana nga kai-pitihana ki te haerenga o te rori ma to ratou kainga he wahi hoki i o ratou whare me a ratou taiapa, a e ki ana ano ratou tera atu ano tetahi wahi pai hei haerenga mo te rori.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua tae mai he korero ki te Kawanatanga kaore ano he whare kia whakapangia, kaore ano he tino taiapa kia tangohia ki wahi ke, engari ko te rori kua ahua kino i te meatanga kia kaua e haere ma roto i nga ngakinga Maori—ko taua rori kei runga tonu i te ara tawhito e haere ana; otira e ki ana te Apiha kei a ia te whakahaere o taua rori kaore ano ia i tae ki taua wahi titiro ai—E ki ana te Komiti me whakahau atu ia kia tere tonu te haere ki reira titiro ai i taua whenua, a ki te pai, me mau ano te rori ma te wahi e kiia ana e nga Maori kia kore ai e tutuki atu ki a ratou mahinga.

29 Hune, 1882.