Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 125 of 1882.—Petition of Uru Te Angina and 14 Others.]

No. 125 of 1882.—Petition of Uru Te Angina and 14 Others.

Petitioners describe themselves as chiefs on the West Coast. They pray that the Act appointing a trustee to manage Native reserves on the West Coast be not acted upon.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regards this as a question of public policy, which can be settled only after mature consideration by the House itself. The Committee, however, would recommend the Government to take steps for making the Natives clearly understand the provisions of the Act referred to by the petitioners, as this is essential to the effective working of the law.

29th June, 1880.

[Translation.]
No. 125 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Uru Te Angina me etahi atu 14.

E Whakaatu ana nga kai pitihana he Rangatira ratou no te Tai Hauauru. E inoi ana ratou kia kaua e whakahaerea te Ture whakatu kai-tiaki hei whakahaere i nga rahui Maori o te Tai Hauauru.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E whakaaro ana te komiti he mea tenei e pa ana ki te whakahaere mo te katoa a ma Te Whare anake e whiriwhiri. Engari ka whai kupu ano te komiti ki te kawanatanga kia tahuri te kawanatanga ki te tino whakamarama i nga tikanga o taua Ture ki nga kai-pitihana, notemea e tika ana tenei mo te taha ki te whakahaere pai mo taua Ture.

29 Hune 1882.