Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 126 of 1882.—Petition of Hemi Mohi and 8 Otters.]

page 35

No. 126 of 1882.—Petition of Hemi Mohi and 8 Otters.

Petitioners state that they were forced to sell their land at Tauwhare by threats from a Government officer, and they also complain that they had lost their seed-wheat, potatoes, whares, ploughs, horses, &c., when they were dispossessed. They pray for redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That there has been irritation on this subject for a long time, the Natives alleging intimidation and Mr. Marshall denying it. The Committee considers that Government ought to ascertain the facts from independent authority as to Mr. Marshall's conduct, and try to settle or explain the matter. It would be worth while to send some independent and competent person to the spot and ascertain the exaet grievance, if there be one, and have the business settled.

5th September, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 126 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hemi Mohi meetahi atu 8.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana i hoko ratou i to ratou whenua i Tauwhare i runga i te mahi whakawehiwehi a te Apiha a te Kawanatanga, e ki ana hoki i moumou o ratou purapura witi, taewa, me nga whare, nga parau, nga hoiho me era atu mea i te wa i tangohia ai taua whenua. E inoi ana kia whakaorangia to ratou mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua roa e tau ana te raruraru mo runga i tenei mea, e ki ana hoki nga Maori i whakawehiwehia ratou, me te whakahe a Maiho i taua kupu. E mahara ana te Komiti me ata rapu nga tikanga e Te Kawanatanga me patai ki etahi atu tangata kihai nei i pa atu ki taua mahi, kia mohiotia ai te ahua o te mahi a Maiho, kia taea ai te whakamarama te whakaoti ranei i taua mea. He mea pai kia tukua he tangata o waho tangata matau hoki ki reira tonu ki te whiriwhiri i te take o taua mate, mohemea hoki he mate, kia whakataua rawatia taua mahi.

5 Hepetema, 1882.