Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 371 of 1881.—Petition of Karaitiana te Ahu Taikapurua and 5 Others]

No. 371 of 1881.—Petition of Karaitiana te Ahu Taikapurua and 5 Others.

Petitioners refer to land known as Te Wharangi, which, they say, they wish to remain with them. They give no particulars.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That on the 10th August last the Committee examined fully the claims of the Natives to Wharangi, and came to the following resolution: "That Wharangi was included in the deed of cession of the Awahou Block, and the Committee has, therefore, no recommendation to make." The petitioners upon that occasion were Nepia Turatou and others.

16th September, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 371 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Karaitiana te Ahu Taikapurua me etahi atu 5.

E Whakahua ana nga kai-pitihana i tetahi whenua ko Te Wharangi te ingoa, a e ki ana ko ta ratou hiahia kia waiho tonu kia ratou taua whenua. Kaore i whakamaramatia mai e ratou nga take.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I te 10 o nga ra o Akuhata kua pahemo ake nei, i tino whiriwhiria e te Komiti nga take o nga Maori, penei ana te whakataunga: "I uru ano te Wharangi ki roto ki te pukapuka tuku mo te Awahou Poraka, no reira ka kore he kupu a te Komiti." Ko Nepia Taratoa me etahi atu nga kaituku i taua pitihana.

16 Hepetema, 1881.