Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 280 of 1881.—Petition of Anaru Makiwhara and 6 Others (No. 2).]

No. 280 of 1881.—Petition of Anaru Makiwhara and 6 Others (No. 2).

Petitioners say that an island in the Wairoa River was a burial-ground, having had over fifty persons buried in it. It is about one acre in extent. The island was specially reserved as a burial-ground when the neighbouring land Ruato was purchased; but a European has taken possession, cleared it, and sown it in grass. They pray for inquiry and redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this land was sold to a European by the petitioner, amongst others. Under the circumstances the Committee has no recommendation to make.

5th September, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 280 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Anaru Makiwhara me etahi atu 6 (Nama 2).

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana he urupa tetahi moutere i roto i te awa o Wairoa, a kua 50 nga tupapaku kua tanumia kia taua wahi. Kotahi eka te nui o taua wahi. I rahuitia taua moutere hei urupa i te wa i hokona ai a Ruato; i naianei kua nohoia e te pakeha, kua tipitipia nga otaota, kua ruia hoki e ia ki te karaihe. E inoi ana ratou kia whiriwhiria, kia whakaorangia ratou i tenei mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I hokona tenei whenua ki tetahi pakeha, a i uru ano te kai-pitihana me etahi atu ki roto ki taua hoko. No reira ka kore e whaikupu te Komiti.

5 Hepetema, 1881.