Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 31 of 1881.—Petition of Ripeka Wiremu te Pea]

No. 31 of 1881.—Petition of Ripeka Wiremu te Pea.

Petitioner claims an interest in lands at Tauranga sold by Marake te Moananui. She gives her descent in two lines as proof of her claim to hold the land in common with others who have got possession, and prays that she may have redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the petitioner's claims have been frequently examined into on the spot by the Government Agents without finding that she had been aggrieved, her tribe having had its interests paid for. If she has a claim it is upon her tribe.

8th July, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 31 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Ripeka Wiremu te Pea.

E mea ana te kai-pitihana e whai take ana ia ki nga whenua i Tauranga i hokona e Marake te Moananui. E rua ona huarahi whakapapa whakaatu i tona take hui atu ki o etahi i uru ki taua whenua. E inoi ana ia kia puta he ora ki a ia.

page 4

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua maha nga whiriwhiringa a nga Apiha Kawanatanga i nga take o te kai-pitihana i runga pu tonu i aua whenua, a kihai i kitea he mate i tau ki runga ki te kai-pitihana i te mea kua utua nga paanga o tona iwi. Mehemea he take tona me ahu tona tono ki te iwi.

8 Hurae, 1881.