Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 314 of 1881.—Petition of Tamati Paora and 26 Others]

No. 314 of 1881.—Petition of Tamati Paora and 26 Others.

Petitioners complain that lawyers are permitted to practise in the Native Land Court, and also that through surreptitious trigonometrical surveys they find themselves bereft of their lands, whilst the lawyers only get the money. They pray that the law may be so altered as to protect them, and also that all trigonometrical surveys should be prohibited.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the remedy for the lawyer-grievance is in the hands of the Natives themselves, but at the same time the Committee recommends that the attention of the Chief Judge should be called to the complaints of the Maoris on this point, and also to the subject of surveys, with a view of allaying suspicion on the part of the Natives.

26th August, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 314 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Tamati Paora me etahi atu 26.

E Whakahe ana nga kai-pitihana ki te urunga o nga Roia ki roto ki te Kooti Whenua Maori, e mea ana hoki na te mahi tahae i runga i te ruri teihana, i riro ai o ratou whenua, ko te moni i pau atu i nga Roia. E inoi ana ratou kia whakarereketia te ture kia tiakina ai ratou, kia mutu ai hoki to ruri teihana.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kei nga Maori ano te hurahi hei whakakore i to ratou mate i nga Roia, otira e whakaaro ana te Komiti me ata whakaatu ano ki te Tumuaki o nga kai-whakawa nga tono a nga Maori me ta ratou whakahe ki nga roia, me aua ruri teihana hoki, kia kore ai te wehi o nga Maori i runga i aua mahi.

26 Akuhata, 1881.