Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 262 of 1881.—Petition of Rotohiki Pootu and 20 Others]

No. 262 of 1881.—Petition of Rotohiki Pootu and 20 Others.

Petitioners state that in 1865, whilst they were absent assisting to carry out the laws, preventing the taking-up of arms, and the sale or lease of lands, their own land at Awangatete and on to Takapau had been sold by Ngaiterangi. They say this sale was informal, and pray that it should be confined to such part as was fairly bought.

I am directed to report as follows:—

This was confiscated land, but returned to the Ngaiterangi Tribe. In 1864 Government opened negotiations for its purchase, and this was completed by May, 1871. The deeds (seven) extend from August, 1866, to May, 1871, and the cost was £8,957. The various sections of the tribe received their shares, and everything was done in the most open way. The Committee cannot recommend the prayer of the petition.

24th August, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 262 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rotohiki Pootu me etahi atu 20.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana i te tau 1865, i te mea e ngaro ana ratou ki ti whakahaere ture, me te pehi i te mau pu, me te hoko me te riihi whenua, ko to ratou whenua i Awangatete tae atu ki Takapau i hokona e Ngaiterangi. E ki ana hoki ratou kaore i tika te hoko, e inoi ana kia pa taua hoko ki te wahi anake i tika kia hokona.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

He whenua tenei i riro i te Rau-patu whakahokia ana kia Ngaiterangi. I timata te hoko a te Kawanatanga a no mei o te tau 1871 ka oti taua hoko. Ko aua tiiti (e whitu) e timata atu ana i me nga iwi nga moni tika mo o ratou hea, i tino marama rawa hoki te whakahaere o taua mahi. Kaore e taea e te Komiti te whakatika i te inoi a nga kai-pitihana.

24 Akuhata, 1881.