Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 248 of 1881.—Petition of Renata te Whauwhau and 55 Others (No. 1)]

No. 248 of 1881.—Petition of Renata te Whauwhau and 55 Others (No. 1).

Petitioners say that certain land at Katikati had been, at a time unknown to them, sold by the Ngatimatera to some Europeans, and they pray that the sale should not be legalized until the case has been carefully inquired into; and also that the trees upon the land should be protected from both Maoris and Europeans.

I am directed to report as follows:—

This was confiscated land, but returned to the Ngaiterangi Tribe. In 1864 the Government opened negotiations for its purchase, and this was completed by May, 1871. The deeds (seven) extend from August, 1866, to May, 1871; and the cost was £8,951. The various sections of the tribe received their shares, and everything was done in the most open way. The Committee cannot recommend the prayer of the petition.

24th August, 1881.
page 20

[Translation.]
No. 248 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Renata te Whauwhau me etahi atu 55 (Nama 1). E ki ana nga kai-pitihana i hokona tetahi whenua i Katikati e Ngatimatera ki etahi pakeha i te mea e ngaro ana nga kai-pitihana, e inoi ana ratou kaua e whakamanaia taua hoko kia ata whiriwhiria rano, e inoi ana hoki ratou kia tiakina nga rakau kei riro i nga pakeha i nga Maroi ranei.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

He whenua tenei i riro i te Rau-patu whakahokia ana kia Ngaiterangi. I te tau 1864 ka timata te hoka a te Kawanatangi mo taua whenua, no Mei, 1871, ka oti. I timati atu aua tiiti (e whitu) i Akuhata, 1866, tae atu ki Mei, 1871, ko nga moni o taua hoko e £8,951. I riro katoa atu i nga hapu me nga iwi nga moni tika mo o ratou hea, i tino marama rawa hoki te whakahaere o taua mahi, kaore Akuhata, 1866, tae atu ki Mei, 1871, ko nga moni o taua hoko e £8,951. I riro katoa atu i nga hapu e taea e te Komiti te whakatika te inoi a nga kai-pitihana.

24 Akuhata, 1881.