Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 272 of 1881.—Petition of Renata te Whauwhau and 44 Others (No. 2)]

No. 272 of 1881.—Petition of Renata te Whauwhau and 44 Others (No. 2).

Petitioners complain that part of their land near Katikati had been sold by others during their absence. They pray for its return, and also part of that confiscated for their acts of rebellion.

I am directed to report as follows:—

This was confiscated land, but returned to the Ngaiterangi Tribe. In 1864 Government opened negotiations for its purchase, and this was completed in May, 1871. The deeds (seven) extend from August, 1866, to May, 1871, and the cost was £8,951. The various sections of the tribe received their shares, and everything was done in the most open way. The Committee cannot recommend the prayer of the petition.

24th August, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 272 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Renata te Whauwhau me etahi atu 44 (Nama 2).

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana i te mea e ngaro ana ratou i hokona tetahi taha o to ratou whenua i Katikati e etahi atu tangata. E inoi ana ratou kia whakahokia atu kia ratou, me tetahi taha hoki o nga whenua i Rau-patutia mo o ratou hara mau pu kia te Kuini.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

He whenua tenei i riro i te Rau-o-te-patu, engari i whakahokia atu ki a Ngaiterangi. I te tau 1864 ka timata te whakahaere hoko a te Kawanatanga, a no Mei, 1871, ka oti taua hoko. E timata atu ana aua tiiti (e whitu) i Akuhata, 1866, tae atu ki Mei, 1871, ko nga moni o taua hoko e £8,951. I riro katoa atu i nga hapu me nga iwi nga moni tika mo o ratou hea i tino marama rawa hoki te whakahaere o taua mahi. Kaore e taea e te Komiti te whakatika i te inoi a nga kai-pitihana.

24 Akuhata, 1881.