Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 279 of 1881.—Petition of Winikerei te Whetuiti]

No. 279 of 1881.—Petition of Winikerei te Whetuiti.

Petitioner claims 1,000 acres in the Haungawera Block, near Piako, on the ground of having been only a child when the land was sold.

I am directed to report as follows:—

It seems that Government, through Mr. Puckey, promised £20 to the petitioner in extinguishment of his alleged claims but he refused to receive it on the condition that it would extinguish all claims. According to Mr. 'Puckey's report, he wanted £50. The Committee recommends that Government should try to satisfactorily settle the matter as soon as possible.

24th August, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 279 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Winikerei te Whetuiti.

E Tono ana te kai-pitihana kia hoatu he mano eka mana i te Haungawera Poraka e tata ana ki Piako, natemea he tamariki rawa ia i te wa i hokona ai taua whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I whakaaetia e te Paki mo te taha Kawanatanga kia hoatu te £20—ki te kai-pitihana hei whakakore i ona take ki taua whenua, otira kaore ia i whakaae ma tera e whakakore ona paanga ki te whenua; i roto i te ripoata a te Paki e mea ana i tono ia kia £50. E whakaaro ana te Komiti me hohoro te whakamatau atu a te Kawanatanga ki te whakaoti tika i taua mea.

24 Akuhata, 1881.