Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 29 of 1881.—Petition of Mokena Kohere]

No. 29 of 1881.—Petition of Mokena Kohere.

Petitioner alleges that he is, by Native custom, owner of land near Gisborne called Titirangi, incorporated in a block named Kaiti; that in 1873, when Kaiti was being passed through the Native Land Court, he was attending to Parliamentary duties in Wellington, and consequently his name was left out of the grants; that he was promised a rehearing; that in 1879, when the ease again came on, it lapsed from some unknown cause; that he has since made several efforts to get the matter reopened; and, finally, that in January, 1881, he attended a sitting of the Land Court, and was then informed that it could not be dealt with, and that he had better appeal to Parliament. The petitioner prays for relief.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee cannot see that any injustice has been done to the petitioner, but if there be any question of law it could be settled upon his making a new claim. The Committee has therefore no recommendation to make.

23rd August, 1881.
page 19

[Translation.]
No. 29 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Mokena Kohere.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i runga i te tikanga Maori ko ia te tangata nana tetahi whenua e tutata ana ki Kihipane ko Titirangi te ingoa, kua whakaurua ki roto ki tetahi Poraka ko Kaiti te ingoa, a i te whakawakanga o Kaiti i te tau 1873 e te Kooti Whakawa Whenua Maori, i Poneke ke ia i runga i tana mahi Paremete, no tana ngaronga i kapea ai tona ingoa ki waho o te Karaati; e ki ana ano hoki ia i puta te kupu whakaae ki a ia tera ka tuaruatia te whakawa o taua whenua, a i te tau 1879 i te karangatanga kia whakawakia ano, no runga i tetahi take kahore i mohiotia kahore i whakawakia, no muri i tena he maha ana tono kia whakawakia ano, a i Hanuere, 1881, i tae ano ia ki te nohoanga o te Kooti Whakawa Whenua Maori, a mea ana te Kooti ki a ia e kore e taea te whakawa, engari ko te mea pai me tono ia ki te Paramete. E tono ana te kai-pitihana kia whakaorangia tona mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ki ta te Komiti titiro kahore i tau he mate ki te kai-pitihana, otiia mehemea he tikanga ture he rapua ana tera ka taea te whakaoti ina whakaputa ia i tetahi tono hou. Kahore he kupu a te Komiti.

23 Akuhata, 1881.