Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 249 of 1881.—Petition of Henare Tomoana]

No. 249 of 1881.—Petition of Henare Tomoana.

Petitioners states that about 1867 a piece of land called Pakohai was passed through the Native Land Court; that at that time many persons resided upon the property, having cultivations and wooden houses; that, owing to the ignorance of the people, they allowed the name of Karaitiana Takamoana to be inserted in the Crown grant; that since that time the petitioner and his tribe have been turned off, and their land and cultivations taken possession of by other people; that when Takamoana's name was inserted in the deed it was only as trustee for petitioner and his tribe; and, finally, that Takamoana made a will disposing of the land, the validity of which instrument the petitioner contested in the Supreme Court and won his case. The petitioner prays that the original Crown grant may be cancelled, and a new one issued in favour of himself and people.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, the claims of the petitioner having been adjudicated upon in the Supreme Court, and likely to be the subject of further litigation, the Committee has no recommendation to make.

19th August, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 249 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Henare Tomoana.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i whakawakia a Pakohai e te Kooti Whenua Maori i te tau 1867; i tau takiwa he maha noatu nga tangata e noho ana i runga i tana whenua me a ratou ngakinga kai me nga whare paraki; na i runga i te kuare o te iwi i whakaaetia kia uru ko te ingoa o Karaitiana Takamoana ki roto ki te Karauna karaati; no muri mai i tera ka panaia te kai-pitihana me tona iwi, tangohia ana o ratou ngakinga kai me me o ratou mea katoa; i takua te ingoa o Takamoana ki roto ki te Karauna karaati hei kai-tiaki mo te taha ki te kai-pitihana me tona iwi, a no muri nei ka tukua ketia aua whenua e Takamoana i runga i tona wira, tautohetia ana taua wira e te kai-pitihana ki te Hupirimi Kooti a riro ana i a ia. E inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia whakakorea te Karauna karaati tuatahi, kia tukua ai he karaati hou kia ia me tona iwi.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua whakawakia nga tono a te kai-pitihana ki te Hupirimi Kooti, a tera pea e tukua ano kia whakawakia. No reira kaore he kupu a te Komiti.

19 Akuhata, 1881.