Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 286 of 1881.—Petition of Ngawaka Taurua Ngaropo]

No. 286 of 1881.—Petition of Ngawaka Taurua Ngaropo.

Petitioner refers to a proposal to rate Maori lands, and desires that it may not be carried out.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, this being a question now under the consideration of the House, the Committee has no recommendation to make on the subject-matter of the petition; but, as the memorial seems to be addressed more to the Ministers than to Parliament, the Committee would suggest that it be referred to the Government, in order that a reply may be sent, as requested by the petitioner.

18th August, 1881.
page 16

[Translation.]
No. 286 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Ngawaka Taurua Ngaropo.

E Whaikupu ana te kai-pitihana mo runga i te tikanga e mea nei kia reititia nga whenua a nga Maori, e tono ana hoki kia kaua e whakamanaia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

He take tenei kei te whiriwhiria e te Whare, no reira ka kore he kupu a te Komiti mo runga i nga take o te pitihana; otira i runga i te kitenga, kaore i tuhia ki te Paremete engari i tuhia ketia ki nga Minita, no reira ka ki atu te Komiti me tuku atu ki te Kawanatanga kia tuhia atu ai te kupu whakahoki e tonoa mai nei o te kai-pitihana. 18 Akuhata, 1881.