Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[Ngatikawhata Claims Commission]

Ngatikawhata Claims Commission.

TheNative Affairs Committee, to whom was referred the attached correspondence, has directed me to report as follows:—
1. That the Committee has heard the statement and evidence of Mr. Alexander McDonald, who appeared for the Native claimants before the Commission, and has also considered the papers referred to it.
2. That there is no necessity for disturbing the decision set forth in the Commissioner's report; and Mr. McDonald himself readily admits the accuracy of the printed evidence attached to the Commissioner's report.
3. That the question is not one affecting the public interest, and from Mr. McDonald's own evidence it appears that any question which may be in existence as amongst the Natives themselves is capable of being finally and satisfactorily settled by them. Mr. McDonald states confidently that there would be no difficulty in obtaining the consent of the grantees to recognizing any equitable or other claim which the petitioners may have as against the grantees.

There is, therefore, no reason why the public should be at the expense of a further and unnecessary inquiry.

2nd August, 1881.

[Translation.]
Komihana mo nga Kereme o Ngatikauwhata.

Kua whakahaua ahau e Te Komiti mo nga Mea Maori kia ki penei i runga i nga pukapuka e piri nei, a, i tukua mai nei ki tenei Komiti, ara:—
1. Kua rongo te Komiti i nga korero a Riki Makitanara te Kai-whakahaere o nga tangata Maori na ratou te kereme i te aroaro o te Komihana, a, kua whiriwhiria hoki e te Komiti nga pukapuka i tukua mai nei ki a ia.
2. Na, kaore he take kia whakararurarutia te whakataunga a te Komihana e takoto na i roto i te ripoata a nga Komihana; i whakaae tonu hoki a Riki Makitanara ki te tika o nga korero i whakapuakina ki te aroaro o te Komihana, ara, i perehitia nei, i whakapiria mai nei ki taua ripoata.
3. Na, he mea tenei e pa ana ki nga take o te Katoa, a i runga tonu i nga korero a Riki Makitanara ka taea pai ano e nga Maori te tino whakaoti tuturu nga tikanga pera e takoto ana i waenganui i a ratou; e ki tonu ana hoki a Makitanara era noa e whakaae nga tangata o roto i te Karauna Karaati ki nga take tika pewhea atu ranei o nga kai-pitihana i runga i a ratou.

No reira kaore he take kia whakapaua ano etahi o nga moni a te katoa ki te whakahaere ano i tetahi atu whakawa kore-tikanga.

2 Akuhata, 1881.