Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 35 of 1881.—Petition of Wiremu Hoete te Keepa and 12 Others]

No. 35 of 1881.—Petition of Wiremu Hoete te Keepa and 12 Others.

Petitioners state that they are relations of Wiremu Hoete te Waero, deceased; that Te Waero was owner of Paparoa, and warned the then Governor, Sir G. Grey, and Major Newton not to pay money for that block, as it was his land; that this was agreed to; that two years afterwards the Governor asked him for the use of the block, to place pensioners upon, but that the "mana" of Te Waero was to remain upon the roads; that part of the arrangement was that there should be a Native reserve of 200 acres; that the Natives built whares and resided on the reserve; that in 1863 Te Waero claimed payment for Paparoa, and was told to wait till the Waikato war should be over, and then to talk about it; that for several years Te Waero and the petitioners kept applying for a settlement, but without success. They apply for compensation for the block, which, they say, contains 20,000 acres, is worth £10,000, and is held entirely by Europeans.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee, having carefully considered the history of this case, conclude that the petitioners have no claim.

5th July, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 35 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wiremu Hoete te Keepa me etahi atu 12.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana he uri ratou no Wiremu Hoete te Waero, kua mate, ko Te Waero te tangata nona a Paparoa, a i whakatupato ia i te Kawana o tera takiwa a Ta Hori Kerei me Meiha Nutana kia kaua e utua he moni i runga i taua poraka no te mea nona tana whenua; na e rua tau i muri iho ka tonoa atu ia e te Kawana kia hoatu taua poraka ki a ia hei nohanga mo nga penihana, erangi ko te "mana" o Te Waero kia mau tonu ki runga ki nga rori; ko taua whakaritenga i mea kia 200 eka te wahi hei rahui mo nga Maori; na i hanga whare nga Maori i noho ki runga ki taua rahui; no te tau 1863 ka tono a Te Waero kia utua ia mo Paparoa, ka kiia mai ki a ia me tatari ia kia mutu te whawhai o Waikato, hei reira korero ai; kua maha noa atu nga tau e tono ana a Te Waero me nga kai-pitihana kia whakaritea taua mea kihai ano kia rite. E tono ana ratou inaianei kia utua ratou mo taua poraka, e ki ana ratou ko ona eka e 20,000, ko tona utu £10,000, a kei te nohoia katoatia e te Pakeha.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua ata whakaarohia e te Komiti nga korero o tenei tono, a heoti, e mea ana kaore he take o nga kai-pitihana.

5 Hurae, 1881.