Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 173 of 1881.—Petition of Wiremu Patene and Aperahama Patene]

No. 173 of 1881.—Petition of Wiremu Patene and Aperahama Patene.

Petitioners say that in 1879 they petitioned concerning a house of theirs which a European named Lazure had burnt down in April, 1879, and that the loss sustained was £350. They pray for redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the petition of 1879 was a letter to the then Native Minister (Mr. Sheehan), to which there seems to have been no written reply, though there was a verbal reply that Government would favourably consider a formal application to make good a portion of the loss. The Committee would recommend that Government should now consider the case, with a view to giving effect to such promise.

22nd July, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 173 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wiremu Patene me Aperahama Patene.

E Ki ana nga kia-pitihana no te tau 1879 ka pitihana raua ki te whare mo to raua whare i tahuna e tetahi pakeha e Rahua (Lazure) i Aperira 1879, a ko a raua taonga i pau e £350. E inoi aua raua kia puta tetahi ora kia raua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I tuhia e nga kai-pitihana ki a Te Hiana Minita me te Taha Maori tetahi reta i te tau 1879, a kihai i tuhia atu he whakahoki ki taua reta; engari i whakahokia a-wahatia atu tera ano te Kawanatanga e whakaaro pai ki tetahi tono kia utua tetahi wahi o aua mea i ngaro ra. Heoi ka whakahau te Komiti kia tahuri te Kawanatanga i naianei ki te whiriwhiri i taua tono hei whakamana i te kupu i whakaaetia ra.

22 Hurae, 1881.