Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 28 of 1881.—Petition of Pita Tunua, Parore, Hapeta, and H. Tamihana]

No. 28 of 1881.—Petition of Pita Tunua, Parore, Hapeta, and H. Tamihana.

Petitioners allege that their signatures had been got by misrepresentations to the deed of sale of Opuawhanga Block No. 3, and complain that signatures should be taken in hotels and stables. They pray for a return of half the block named.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That there are four blocks of this name. No. 3 was Crown-granted to Eruera Maki on the 27th June, 1868, as sole owner. From him Government bought the land in March, 1879. No. 2 was Crown-granted to Pita Tunua and Parore, two of the petitioners, on the 27th June, 1868. It was sold to the Superintendent of Auckland in 1870. In 1872 deeds, then unregistered, were burned when the Government buildings in Auckland were destroyed by fire. In 1878 Mr. Sheehan, then Native Minister, ordered a new deed to be prepared. This was signed by the grantees. The money paid on the second transfer was £6—merely to pay the expenses of the Natives. The deed specifies the reason why it was renewed, and is in every respect full, explicit, and regular. The Committee cannot recommend that the prayer of the petitioners be granted.

13th July, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 28 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Pita Tunua, Parore, Hapeta, me H. Tamihana.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana i tinihangatia ratou i haina ai ratou i te pukapuka-hoko mo Opuawhanga Nama 3, e whakahe ana hoki i te tuhinga o nga ingoa i roto i nga paparakauta me nga tepara hoiho. E inoi ana ratou kia whakahokia atu kia ratou te hawhe o taua Poraka whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E wha rawa nga poraka e man ana taua ingoa kotahi. Ko te Nama 3 i Karauna karatitia kiaa Eruera Maki i te 27 o Hune, 1868, i karaatitia ki tona kotahi. Hokona ana e ia ki te kawanatanga i Maihe o te tau 1879.

Ko te Nama 2 i karaatitia kia Pita Tunua taua ko Parore i te 27 Hune, 1868, tokorua raua he kai-pitihana inaianei.

Hokona ana e te Hupiriteneti o Akarana i te tau 1870. I te tau 1872 i wera i te ahi nga pukapuka-hoko —i mua i te rehitatanga o aua pukapuka—i te weranga o nga Tari Kawanatanga i Akarana.

I te tau 1878 i whakahaua e te Hiana, Minita mo te taha Maori, kia mahia houtia he pukapuka-hoko. Hainatia ana ano taua pukapuka e nga kai-hoko. E ono pauna i utua i te tuhinga o taua pukapuka tuarua, engari i utua enei moni hei whakaea kau i nga moni a nga Maori i pau i to ratou taenga atu ki reira.

E whakaatu ana ano taua pukapuka i te take i mahia houtia ai, e marama katoa ana nga kupu, i tika hoki te mahi i taua pukapuka.

E kore e ahei te Komiti ki te ki atu kia whakaaetia te inoi a nga kai-pitihana.

13 Hurae, 1881.