Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 64 of 1881.—Petition of Major Te Wheo (No. 1).]

page 1

No. 64 of 1881.—Petition of Major Te Wheo (No. 1).

Petitioner says that the sum of £75 is due to him as balance of purchase-money for Karioi. He asks that payment be made.

I am directed to report as follows:—

It seems that in 1855, when Karioi was purchased, a promissory note was issued by Mr. Rogan for £75 as part of the purchase-money. Judge Rogan acknowledges receipt on 15th January, 1856, of money which he accounts for on 10th July, 1856, as paid to the extent of £75 in final payment for Karioi. On the 11th January, 1878, Judge Rogan minutes on a letter from Major Te Wheoro, "That Karioi had been paid for in full." The fact that Judge Rogan has been relieved by the Treasury from the imprest seems to show that at the time of the transaction he had produced a sufficient voucher.

5th July, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 64 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Meiha Te Wheoro (Nama 1).

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana ko nga moni e £75 e toe tonu ana hei putanga atu ki a ia mo te toenga o te moni o Karioi. E tono ana ia kia utua taua moni.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E kitea ana no te tau 1855, i te hokonga o Karioi, ka whakaputaina e Te Rokena tetahi poromihi nooti mo nga moni e £75, ko tetahi wahi tera o te moni hoko. E whakaaetia ana e Te Rokena te rironga i a ia o etahi moni i te 15 o Hanuere, 1856, a no te 10 o Hurae, 1856, ka whakaaturia mai e ia tona utunga i aua moni tae noa ki taua £75, te moni toenga o Karioi. I te 11 o Hanuere, 1878, ka tuhia e Tiati Rokena ona kupu mo runga i tetahi reta mai a Meiha Te Wheoro i penei tona ki, "Kua utua katoa nga moni mo Karioi." Na i runga i te mea kua kore i te Tari Moni te ingoa o Tiati Rokena mo aua moni i tukua atu ra ano tena, i rite i a ia te tuku mai i te pukapuka whakaatu mo te paunga o aua moni.

5 Hurae, 1881.