Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 183, Session II.—Petition of Teoti Pita Mutu and 25 Others (No. 2).]

No. 183, Session II.—Petition of Teoti Pita Mutu and 25 Others (No. 2).

Petitioners state that the following were the only pieces of land given to them by the Court in 1868, owing to the Kaiapoi lands being given away to Natives of other parts—namely, at Rakaia Hakatera, Wairewa, and Tarawera. They would carefully hold them in trust, but ask for power to lease them, so as to use them with advantage. In 1877 they asked for a Court to investigate their lands and adjust the interest of those claiming the reserves. The Court has never been appointed. All the lands have been leased, and the rent amounts to £718 per annum. The people number 100. All the fish have been destroyed through the lakes being drained. They ask that their grievances may be redressed.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

12th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 183, Session II.—Te Pitihana a Teoti Pita Mutu me etahi ata e 25 (No. 2).

No te mea i hoatu ke nga whenua o Kaiapoi ki nga Maori o etahi atu wahi heoti ano nga whenua i riro ia ratou i te Kooti o te tau 1868 ko Rakaia Hakatera, ko Wairewa me Tarawera. Era ano ratou e ata tiaki i aua wahi engari me whakamana ratou ki te riihi e puta ai he pai ki a ratou. I te tau 1877 ka tono Kooti ratou hei whakawa i o ratou whenua a hei whakarite i nga wahi o era e whai take ana ki nga rahui. Kaore ano he Kooti kia whakaturia. Ko nga whenua katoa kua riihitia a ko nga reti i te tau e £718. Ko nga tangata e tae ana ki te 100. Ko nga ika katoa kua mate i te mea kua keria te wai o nga roto. E tono ana ratou kia whakaorangia o ratou mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti mo te poto o te takiwa i a ratou hei tirotirohanga e tika ai te whakatau kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

12 Tihema 1879.