Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 294, of 1878, and 29, of Session I., 1879.—Petitions of Frederick Sutton.]

No. 294, of 1878, and 29, of Session I., 1879.—Petitions of Frederick Sutton.

The petitioner states that he is the owner of a piece of land in the District of Hawke's Bay, known as Omaranui; that he gained a suit brought against his title by certain Natives in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, but that nevertheless the said Natives and others took possession of the land, and resisted the efforts of the Sheriff of the district to eject them by due process of law, declaring that they would never give up possession of the land while they retained life; that the Sheriff, in his return of the writ, has stated that he could not hove enforced it without causing a breach of the peace, and that he had not sufficient means at his disposal to overcome the resistance which would have been offered; that the Supreme Court having accepted these reasons as a sufficient excuse for the non-execution of the writ, petitioner has received no benefit from the judgment of the Court, but has incurred costs to the amount of several hundreds of pounds. He therefore prays that means may be devised for enforcing the judgments, decrees, and writs of the Supreme Court of New Zealand.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the petitioner, as holder of the Crown grant, appears to have a legal title to the estate, but that it seems probable that the issue of the Crown grant did a wrong to the Natives, who for a long time inhabited 163 acres included in the grant. The Committee therefore recommend the Government to inquire into the case, and effect such a settlement as may appear fair, considering all the circumstances.

11th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 294, of 1878, and 29, of Session I., 1879.—Nga Pukapuka-inoi e rua a Peririka Tatana.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana nona tetahi piihi whenua i roto i te Takiwa o Haake Pei ko Omarunui; i puta ia i te whakawakanga i a ia i roto i te Hupirimi i Kooti me te Kooti tuarua a etahi Maori mo tona take ki taua whenua; na ahakoa nga whakataunga a nga Kooti tangohia ana o aua Maori me etahi atu taua whenua, a whakatetetia ana te Apiha o te takiwa i te haerenga atu ki te pana i a ratou i runga i nga tikanga o te ture me ta ratou ki kore rawa e tukuna e ratou taua whenua kia mate ra ano; na i ki te page 20Apiha i tona whakahokinga i te riti mehemea i puta i a ia taua riti kua tutu te rangimarire, a kaore o ana mea hei whakakaha i a ia ki te turaki i te whakatete a nga Maori mei peratia; a i whakaae te Hupirimi Kooti he nui ano era take mo te korenga o taua riti i puta. Kaore ano he pai kia puta ki te kai-pitihana i runga i te whakatau a te Hupirimi Kooti erangi he maha ana rau pauna kua ngaro i aua whakawa. No reira ka inoi ia kia whakaritea etahi huarahi e taea ai te whakamana nga whakataunga, nga kupu-ki, me nga riti a te Hupirimi Kooti o Niu Tireni.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

No te mea ko te kai-pitihana te kai-pupuri i te Karauna karaati, a i runga i tena e tika ana i te ture tona take ki taua whenua, engari e maharatia ana tera ano pea i tau he tetahi mate ki nga Maori i runga i te whakaputa o te Karauna karaati. Kua roa noa atu aua Maori e noho ana i runga i taua 163 eka i whakaurua nei ki roto ki te karaati. No reira ka whakahaua e te Komiti te Kawanatanga kia rapua taua raruraru a kia whakaotia tikatia i runga i te ata whakaaro i nga take katoa.

11 Tihema 1879.