Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 72, Session I.—Petition of Jonathan Brown.]

No. 72, Session I.—Petition of Jonathan Brown.

The petitioner states that he had made an agreement with certain Natives for the purchase of a block of land belonging to them in the District of Tauranga, but that, in consequence of a resolution of the Native Affairs Committee passed in 1878, the Natives are prevented from completing their agreement. He prays that the restriction upon alienation recommended in that report be removed in so far as the land agreed to be purchased by him is concerned.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee see no objection to the removal of the restriction of the alienation of this block, as it appears that the Natives concerned are willing to complete the title, and are possessed of other lands in their own right; and they beg to recommend the Government to act accordingly.

31st October 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 72, Session I.—Pukapuka-inoi a Honatana Paraone.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana i uru ratou ko etahi Maori ki roto ki tetahi whakaaetanga kia hokona e ia tetahi poraka whenua o ratou e takoto ana i roto i te Takiwa o Tauranga; engari no runga i tetahi page 9whakatuturutanga a te Komiti mo nga mea Maori i te tau 1878, e araitia ana nga Maori kei whakaotia taua whakaaetanga a ratou. No reira ka inoi ia kia tangohia taua here a te Komiti i runga i te hoko o taua whenua kua whakaaetia ra kia hokona e ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kaore he he e kitea ana e te Komiti mo te tango i te here hoko i runga i taua poraka, a ko nga Maori e uru ana ki roto e hiahia tonu ana kia whakaotia taua hoko, a e whiwhi ana hoki ratou ki etahi atu whenua i runga ano i o ratou take ki reira. Na he mea atu tenei kia whakahaerea peratia e te Kawanatanga.

Oketopa 31, 1879.