Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Reihana Tutana and Others]

Report on Petition of Reihana Tutana and Others.

The petitioners, who are Natives of the Thames District, pray that their claims to certain blocks of land may be reheard. They allege that they have applied to the Government to allow a rehearing, but that their application was refused.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the only evidence before the Committee is to the effect that, on the application for a rehearing being received by the Government, it was referred to the Chief Judge of the Native Land Court, who saw no reason why a rehearing should be granted, and the Government, in consequence, declined to accede to the request. The Committee, from the evidence before it, have no reason for thinking that the decision of the Government in the matter was otherwise than correct.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

29th October, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Reihana Tutana me etahi atu.

Ko nga kai-inoi he Maori no te Takiwa o Hauraki, e inoi ana ko o ratou take ki etahi whenua me whakawa tuarua. E ki ana ratou kua tono ratou ki te Kawanatanga kia tukua he whakawa tuarua a kahore i whakaaetia ta ratou tono.

page 38

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko nga whakaatu i tae ki te aroaro o te Komiti i penei na, i te taenga o te tono ki te Kawanatanga mo te whakawa tuarua i tukua e ratou taua tono ki te Kaiwhakawa Tumuaki o te Kooti Whenua Maori, a i mea ia kahore he take e whakawakia tuaruatia ai. Na reira kahore i whakaaetia e te Kawanatanga taua tono. Ko te Komiti e mea ana i runga i nga whakaatu kua tae ki to ratou aroaro, kahore he take e whakahe ai ratou i te whakataunga a te Kawanatanga.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 29, 1877.