Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Members of the Parawhau Tribe]

Report on Petition of Members of the Parawhau Tribe.

The petitioners, who are members of the Parawhau Tribe, residing at Whangarei, state that many years ago a block of land called Kaherutahi, belonging to them, was taken possession of by a European, and has since been granted to him by the Government. But they allege that the block of land in question was never purchased by the Government or ceded by the owners. They therefore pray that an inquiry be instituted into the matter, and that compensation or other redress be afforded them.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the petitioners have submitted no evidence in support of the allegations of their petition; but the evidence of Major Heaphy, which has been taken by the Committee, goes to show that the block of land in question has been included in deeds of cession duly executed. The Committee therefore cannot recommend the prayer of the petition to the favourable consideration of the House.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

October 22nd, 1877.

[Translation].
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a te iwi o te Parawhau.

No te Parawhau enei kai-inoi e noho ana ki Whangarei, e ki ana ratou i noboia e te pakeha i nga tau o mua tetahi whenua o ratou ko Kaherutahi te ingoa; a muringa iho kua karaatitia ki a ia e te Kawanatanga—engari e ki ana nga kai-inoi kahore rawa i hokona taua piihi whenua e te Kawanatanga kihai hoki i tukua atu e nga tangata no ratou te whenua. Koia ratou i inoi ai kia uiuia nga tikanga a kia utua ratou ki te moni kia whakaeangia ranei to ratou mate i runga i tetahi atu huarahi.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

page 32

Kahore kau i whakatakotoria ki te aroaro o te Komiti he korero kei hapai kei whakamarama i nga kupu a nga kai-inoi i whakapuakina i roto i ta ratou pukapuka-inoi engari e kitea ana i runga i nga korero a Meiha Whiwhi i te aroaro o te Komiti kei roto taua whenua i nga pukapuka hoko kua ata tuhituhia. Koia i kore ai te Komiti e kaka ki te ki atu kia ata whiriwhiria paitia e te Whare te tono i roto i te pukapuka-inoi.

John Bryce.
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 22, 1877.