Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Hoani Enoka (No. 1)]

Report on Petition of Hoani Enoka (No. 1).

The petitioner, as a member of the Rangitane tribe, prays that his title to a reserve, said to have been promised him by the late Sir Donald McLean, should be recognized.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this petition is similar in effect to one presented last session from the same petitioner, and reported on as follows:—"That such evidence as the Committee have been able to obtain goes to show that no such promise as that referred to in the petition was ever made, and the Committee cannot therefore recommend the prayer of the petitioner to the favourable consideration of the House." The Committee see no reason to alter the resolution arrived at by the Native Affairs Committee of last session.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

17th October, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Hoani Enoka (Nama 1).

Ko te kai-inoi no te iwi Rangitane, e inoi ana ia kia whakaaetia tona take ki tetahi Porowhita e kiia ana i whakaaetia mona e Ta Tanara Makarini kua mate nei.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko tenei pukapuka-inoi e rite ana ki tetahi i homai i tera tau na taua kai-inoi ano a i penei te kupu a te Komiti i reira:—"Ko nga kupu i taea te whakapuaki ki te aroaro o te Komiti e whakaatu ana kahore kau he kupu whakaae pera me tera i kiia ra, koia hoki i kore ai te Komiti e ki atu kia whiriwhiria paitia e te Whare te inoi a nga kai-inoi."

page 29

Kahore to Komiti i kite i tetahi take e whakarerea ketia ai te whakataunga a te Komiti mo nga mea Maori o tera tau.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki

Oketopa 17, 1877.