Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Hare Reweti and 9 Others]

Report on Petition of Hare Reweti and 9 Others.

This petition refers to penalties said to have been inflicted upon one J. B. Matthews, of Mangonui, for making and selling honey-beer. The petitioners are of opinion that it is not right to prevent persons, who cannot make beer, or who are too lazy to do so, from drinking and paying for it. They pray that the making and selling of honey-beer may be free from any license, and that the penalties inflicted upon J. B. Matthews be remitted.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, with respect to the alteration of the law, so as to permit the selling of honey-beer without a license, the Committee desire to express no opinion, but leave it to the consideration of the House; and, in regard to the remission of the fine, the Committee believe that it ought to be inquired into, and determined by the Government.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

10th August, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo Runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Hare Reweti me ona hoa tokoiwa.

Ko te tikanga o tenei pukapuka-inoi mo etahi whiu i whakataua ki tetahi tangata o Mangonui ko J. B. Matthews te ingoa, mo tana hanganga me tana hokonga i te pia honi. Ki te whakaaro o nga kai, inoi ekore e tika kia kore nga tangata, ekore e mohio ki te hanga pia e mangere ana ranei ki te hanga e inu i te pia E inoi ana ratou kia watea te hanga me te hoko i te pia honi i te raihaua, a kia whakahokia ano ki a J. B. Matthews te moni i tangohia i a ia hei utu mo taua mahi aua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Kahore he hiahia o te Komiti kia whai kupu ratou kia hanga ketia te ture kia ahei ai te hoko raihana kore i te pia honi engari ka waiho ma te Whare e whiriwhiri; a mo te whakakorenga o te whiu, e whakaaro ana te Komiti ma te Kawanatanga e titiro e whakatuturu.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 10, 1877.