Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of A. T. Patene and Others]

Report on Petition of A. T. Patene and Others.

The petitioners, being Natives of the Waikato, urge that Road Board laws should have no effect in their district, because the Maoris are not able to pay their rates, and the consequence will be that they will have to sell their lands, and impoverish their descendants. The petition also contains arguments and objections against "The Native Land Court Bill, 1877."

I am directed to report as follows:—

That with reference to the desire of the petitioners to be relieved from road rates, the Committee do not deem it necessary or desirable to recommend any alteration in the law in the direction of further exemption of Native lands from local rates. And with regard to the statements and opinions of the petitioners upon "The Native Land Court Bill, 1877," the Committee recommend that they should receive the attention of the House and the Government, when the proposed legislation on the subject is under consideration.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

18th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a A. T. Patene ma.

Ko nga kai-inoi he tangata Maori no Waikato, a e tono ana ratou kia kaua e whai mana nga Ture Rori Pooti i roto i to ratou takiwa notemea kahore nga Maori e kaha ki te utu i nga tokowha, a ko te tukunga iho ko nga whenua e riro i te hoko ka rawakore nga uri. He kupu whakahe ano, kei roto i te pukapuka-inoi, mo "Te Pire Kooti Whenua Maori, 1877."

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Mo runga i te hiahia o nga kai-inoi kia kaua e tonoa he utu takowha mo nga rori i a ratou, kahore te Komiti e whakaaro he mea tika he mea marama ranei kia whakarerea ketia te Ture ki te whakamama atu i nga utu takowha mo nga whenua Maori i tona tikanga o naianei. A mo nga kupu me nga whakaaro a nga kai-inoi mo "Te Pire Kooti Whenua Maori, 1877," e mea ana te Komiti ma te Whare ma te Kawanatanga e titiro a te wa e whiriwhiria ai te Ture e kiia ana ka homai mo taua mea.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 18, 1877.