Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Ema Katipa]

Report on Petition of Ema Katipa.

Petitioner states that her husband and brothers were Natives loyal to the Queen, and that, in November, 1868, they were surprised and murdered by Te Kooti; and she further alleges that lands to which the murdered men and petitioner had a title have been taken by deed of cession to which she was not asked to be a party. That, in consequence thereof, she has suffered a loss estimated at £500, and prays for relief.

I am directed to report at follows:—

That the Committee recommend that inquiry be made into the matter referred to in the petition, and that, should the statements made by the petitioner be found to be correct, redress of the grievance complained of ought to be afforded.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

12th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Ema Katipa.

E ki ana te kai-inoi he tangata piri pono ki te Kuini tona tane me tona tungane a i te marama o Nowema, 1868, i kohurutia ohoreretia ratou e Te Kooti a e ki ana hoki te kai-inoi ko etahi whenua i whai take tahi ai nga tangata i kohurutia ra me ia hoki kua tangohia i runga i te mana o tetahi Pukapuka Tuku kihai nei i tonoa kia whakaaetia e ia. Na i runga i taua mea e rite ana ki te £500 te tikanga o te ngaronga o tona whai rawatanga a e tono ana ia kia whakaritea tona mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

page 18

Ko te wkakaaro a te Komiti me kimi nga tikanga o nga mea e whakahuatia ana i roto i te Pukapuka-inoi, a mehemea e kitea ana e tika ana nga korero a te kai-inoi mo whakarite ano tona mate.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 12, 1877.