Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petitions of Hone Paratene and Others (No. 2), and Henare Tawha and Others.]

Report on Petitions of Hone Paratene and Others (No. 2), and Henare Tawha and Others.

The petitioners request that additional Native members of the House of Representatives may be elected for the Middle Island, and also that the promise alleged to have been made by the late Sir Donald McLean, that Maoris from the Middle Island should be called to the Legislative Council, may be carried out.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee recommend the prayer of the petitioners to the consideration of the House when the question of the readjustment of the representation of the colony is brought before it next session, as promised by the Government.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

12th September, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Hone Paratene me etahi atu (Nama 2) me te Pukapuka-inoi a Henare Tawha me etahi atu.

E tono ana nga kai-inoi kia whakaturia etahi atu tangata Maori hei mema mo te Waipounamu, a kia whakamana hoki te kupu whakaae i kiia i whakapuakina e Ta Tanara Makarini kia karangatia he Maori o te Waipounamu ki te Whare o te Runanga Whakatakoto Ture.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

E ki ana te Komiti ma te Whare e whiriwhiri te tono a nga kai-inoi ina korerotia te whakatikatikanga o te ritenga mo nga pootitanga mema mo te Koroni kua kiia nei e te Kawanatanga ka whakatakotoria ki te aroaro o te Whare a tera nohoanga.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 12, 1877.
page 17