Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Kohu Wi Paraone and 4 Others]

Report on Petition of Kohu Wi Paraone and 4 Others.

Petitioners pray that the House will consider the distress under which they are suffering through their land being taken for the crimes of the whole tribe.

Also, that the burial-place at Huria may be cut off from Major Roberts's farm.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee cannot recommend any action to be taken in reference to the first part of the petition; and, with regard to the second, the Committee are of opinion that, if possible, the wish of the petitioners be complied with, and that the Government be recommended accordingly.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

7th August, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Kohu Wi Paraone me ona hoa tokowha.

E tono ana nga kai-inoi kia whakaarohia e te Whare to ratou mate i runga i te tangohanga o o ratou whenua hei utu mo te hara o te Iwi katoa.

E tono ana hoki ratou kia wahia te urupa i Huria ki waho o te paamu o Meiha Ropata.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ekore te Komiti e marama ki te whai kupu tohutohu atu mo te wahi tuatahi o te Pukapuka-inoi; a, mo te wahi tuarua, e whakaaro ana te Komiti me whakarite te hiahia o nga kai-inoi, mehemea ia ka taea, a me tohutohu pera atu te Whare ki te Kawanatanga.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akhuhata 7, 1877.