Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Ihaka Tekateka and Others]

Report on Petition of Ihaka Tekateka and Others.

The petitioners pray that they may be given a piece of land belonging to their ancestors named Rai, situate between the Pelorus and Nelson, because they allege that that piece of land was not included in the sale of Pelorus and Kaituna, which was sold to the Government by the Ngatitoa tribe.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the petition itself, as well as the evidence given by two of the petitioners, is so contradictory, that the Committee do not attach any importance to the claims set forth in the petition, and cannot therefore recommend them to the favourable consideration of the House.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

28th August, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te pukapuka-inoi a Ihaka Tekateka ma.

E tono ana nga kai-inoi kia whakahokia ki a ratou tetahi whenua, ko Rai te ingoa, no o ratou tupuna, ko taua whenua kei waenganui o te Hoiere o Whakatu, te take e ki ana ratou kahore taua whenua i uru ki te hokonga a Ngatitoa o te Hoiere o Kaituna ki te Kawanatanga.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

He nui te raruraru o te pukapuka-inoi o nga korero hoki i whakapuakina i te aroaro o te Komiti koia i kore ai te Komiti e whakaaro e whai tikanga ana nga tono o te pukapuka-inoi, ekore hoki ratou e kaha ki te tohutohu atu ki te Whare kia whiriwhiria paitia.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 28, 1877.